OK, the votes in the 2014 midterm election have been counted, and the Democrats suffered a large defeat. But do you know what, I consider this a good thing, in a way:
**Republicans now have their opportunity to govern. Let us see what they accomplish.
* Democrats have been awakened. Let us see how they recover.
**Republicans won without much of an agenda, but with lots of negative campaigning and racism in the South.
* Democrats lost as most of them unwisely detached from President Obama’s accomplishments.
**Republicans won without a mandate, with only a plurality of less than 50%, reminiscent of GWB.
* Democrats lost by not getting out their vote.
**Republicans have gerrymandered the voting system to the extent that they will not lose the House in the foreseeable future.
* Democrats must retake the Senate and retain the White House to curb Republican extremism.
**Republicans, starting with Reagan and continuing with GWB, cut taxes, increased spending, therefore increased the deficit. GWB doubled it.
* Democrats under Clinton and Obama enabled the country to recover, prosper, while still slowing the deficit.
***In conclusion: There is lots more to do on each issue, under President Obama’s watch, in spite of a mostly dysfunctional Congress and continued abject racism The economy is restored with the stock market at a record high, the deficit is decreasing, unemployment is almost halved to 5.8%, and the ACA is insuring more people at lower overall costs per capita to the country.
Let’s be honest: Our problems were caused by Republican policies under Reagan and Bush, and have been continued by dysfunctional, disruptive, and corrupt Republicans. More work is needed on these issues. Let us see what Republicans can do now that they have full control of the Senate the House.